3D animation generalist, artist, illustrator, interior designer, storyboarder, graphic designer. I love to work in many different areas of visual art and enjoy learning new skills to push my creative ideas into new directions.

Thursday 30 June 2011

Illustration pipeline

I wanted to practise on my new Wacom pad, so I decided to create an illustration rendering. I began by posing my model in Xsi softimage, then place a few lights into the scene and textured the model with phong and blin shaders in black and white. Then rendered a frame and openned it up in photoshop. I coloured and draw details using photoshop and also put a back ground on the scene. I then saved the image as a jpg and imported it back in Xsi and projected onto the geometry using a straight forward camera projection. I then finished of the lighting and rendered the final scene. this whole prcess took about 8 hours.

storm trooper model and rig provided by Juan Correa

fig Afig B
The lighting for the storm trooper is a very simple rig as you can see from the screen grab fig A. I used 3 lights, Key (spot), Fill (point) and Rim (spot). I used the fill and rim to introduce the blue and red colouring into the scene. Fig B shows the xsi render I took, using just the model, lights and ground plate. I took this render into photoshop to add the details on the helmet and background.


This second Illustration I did again for drawing practise on the Wacom. This image is part of my character developement for my MA 3d computer animation final piece. It took a couple of hours.

 
The scarecrow. Character concept.


This last image again was created under the heading of Wacom practise! I took a photo of a chimpanzie and copied it. I used photoshop to help me create layers for the fur.




1 comment: